Friday, September 16, 2016

The Growler


Last night was poker night and I wanted to bring the boys a sample of my latest brew. While I didn’t have a bottle officially designated a growler, I did have a clear glass, half gallon jug that had originally contained fresh apple cider. I cleaned it with Starsan with the notion of filling it with beer and taking it along to the game. However, after doing a little research while waiting for the jug to dry, I abandoned the notion

Garrett Oliver, brewmaster at the Brooklyn Brewery and editor-in-chief of the Oxford Companion to Beer, is not a fan of the growler. “Growlers are basically beer destroyers. They’re often unsanitary, and the refilling process mixes in a lot of oxygen–the tiniest amount of oxygen kills beer so quickly. Then, if you walk across the street with say, an IPA, in full sunlight, with a clear growler, the beer will skunk before you get to your car.”

Good things come to those who wait. I am hosting the next poker game and I look forward to serving my beer fresh from the kegerator tap. Did I make the right decision? What is the view of those experienced in the use of the growler?

No comments:

Post a Comment